Monday 24 September 2018

Tree

As most of you know, I spent every lunch period during my freshman and sophomore years in a tree by the south doors of Uni. As far as I could tell, people thought it was cool and creative of me to sit there. (If people actually thought I was just an idiot, those people can stuff a large stick infested with ants and termites up their snoots and wait uncomfortably for their eyeballs to be eaten through from the inside.) Here are some of the reasons I began eating in a tree and why it took me so long to leave.

At the end of subbie year, a time none of us like to think about, I was beginning to notice that the people who I thought were my close friends weren't that close after all. Since I had been eating lunch with them, and a clear disconnect was forming between myself and them, it didn't take me long at the beginning of freshman year to abandon their crummy lunch group (who needs them?) and seek out a new spot to eat in. At first, I thought I could eat with some other group of people, but I realized that was a dumb idea once I remembered that we were one of the most cliquey, disconnected classes in Uni. I decided to eat wherever I pleased rather than with whomever I pleased.

This train of thought led me outside, because the outdoors has fresh air, colourful scenery, and fewer people to reject me. Out of convenience, I had exited out the south doors, with the intent to wander around the corner to the (sort of) green space between Uni and Uni Gym. However, the moment I rounded the corner, I saw oodles of upperclassmen who I thought would have been more than happy to bury me under the rocks of the picnic area, stomp all over the ground above me, and place one of the wooden tables (remember them?) on top of me as a place marker and scratch "rip" into it. I didn't think the air under those rocks would be too fresh, so I turned around. As I nearly hit my head on that now-famous tree limb, it (nearly) hit me: I would eat in the tree.

The branch was nearly level and surprisingly comfy. There was another branch just within reach that I could use as a table. The air was delightful. It was the perfect spot.

Soon people started to walk by. Even though it was still early in the year, a surprising number of them, with their zombified faces staring straight ahead, didn't even notice that I was there. I chuckled. Those that did notice gave me more civility and open kindness than I had had at lunch for quite a while. It was refreshing, and they gave me a satisfied smile that lasted the whole period.

While there were no people beneath me, my time was my own. I could think aloud freely. I was not constrained by the presence of judging humans. All I had to do was enjoy my surroundings and my food. It reminded me of British gardening shows, where everything was "pleasant". The only thing that could have made it better was flowers. Those came in the spring.

Between summer and spring, of course, was winter. It was cold, and my hands got numb, but I didn't care. Fewer people passed me on the sidewalk, and I had even more freedom to think aloud than before. When it snowed, there was glistening beauty covering a bleak backdrop everywhere. Flowers were unnecessary. How could I leave such a paradise?


(How? The lounge, that's how.)

9 comments:

  1. I always wondered why you ate lunch in that tree. This post was a really fun read, it was interesting to see your thought process laid out like that. Keep doing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a transfer, I never saw you at the tree, or the tree at all in fact. I don't know the surroundings of the side entrances, and so I can't think of the tree you mentioned. My current lunch situation is sort of similar, I have a lot of friends, although I wouldn't consider them close friends yet. So during lunch I just sit around randomly. As time goes on I look forward to getting to know everyone better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of trees. I always say that if you haven't ever had a personal relationship with a tree, it's time to begin. (People who've had me for Creative Writing can attest to this.) The tree you ate your lunch in for such a long stretch is a particularly welcoming and lovely one, in my opinion. It used to have a sibling just to its east, but they had to cut it down (I think due to some kind of blight). I'm glad we got to keep one of them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I had several annoying typos I couldn't help but fix.

      I remember passing you by several times! I always thought you were insanely clever for finding that tree. You looked really cool chilling out there like you were posing for an aesthetic photo. I did tend to worry if your hands would fall off in the winter time, but I'm was glad you found your own little place. I regret never picking up the guts to wave hello (seniority jitters I guess).

      Delete
  5. I remember you sitting in that tree! I wondered why you left.
    I stole your tree this year during August and September, but I am less inclined than you to sit outside during winter. I'm a wimp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rental fee is $8.00 per week plus tax, making the total amount owed $69.76. Payment is due by December 12.

      Delete
  6. I remember seeing you in that tree! Some days (typically in August through October) I'd be somewhat envious of how nice it must be to connect to nature for 30 minutes in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Uni. Once it hit November, however, I became a little less envious as the weather always gets brutally cold. I appreciate your dedication to finding something that works and sticking with it, no matter how cold or rainy the weather would turn. I hope you're able to nostalgically eat in that tree once more before we depart from Uni.

    ReplyDelete

Jack's a Celebrity.

One of the things which makes Ma and Jack's lives harder in Room  after their escape is the fact that they have become famous, with the ...